Thursday, June 27, 2013

New Hampshire trip Part 1

On June 2nd at 5:45am the Miss and I were at the Orlando airport boarding a plane bound first to Philadelphia and finally to Manchester NH. We were on our way home.

My mom had called me on Saturday to let me know that my brother Philip had been admitted to the hospital with blood clots in his lungs and they weren't sure what caused them. I wasn't going to go initially because we didn't really have the extra money to throw around but after thinking about it for a while we decided to book a last minute ticket and we got an amazing price on it considering we bought it less than 10 hours from take off.

Noella did incredibly well on the airplane. She was beyond thrilled by the idea. I was super impressed with how happy she was for the first leg of our journey considering she was woken up at 4:30am to get to the airport for our 6am flight. I however, was exhausted as I had been awake since 7:30am Saturday...

Our lay over in Philly was not as much fun... She had decided she had already had enough for the day. I packed light and didn't check anything because we were flying U.S. Airways and it was $25 for the first bag (SO ridiculous but for two last minute tickets at less than $350, I was going to make it work). I had a small roll case, my backpack stuffed to bursting and the carseat to tote along with us to the next terminal. Oh and Noella's hand to hold. Otherwise she stopped at every single flippin window and walked over to anyone sitting on the benches near the main walkway. I was never so scared I'd lose her.

 I had never been to that airport before and it's HUGE! We had to make it to a totally different terminal in less than 45 minutes with a toddler and all of our stuff in tow. It was slow going but we were at least moving until she saw the moving sidewalks. She wanted to ride them and I didn't get the memo. I heard her mumbling something while we walked past them but I couldn't quite hear her and we needed to keep moving. I figured out the issue once we reached the end. That girl sat down and screamed in protest. I was almost in tears. No one else in that airport had children with them so clearly I was the insane one for dragging a child onto a plane that early but we muscled on with promise to ride the next one. And that we did. She stood on it and didn't move clogging the whole thing up and heaven forbid I try to move her along the 50ft walkway. She decided it was okay to walk the last 10 feet of it. Those people couldn't get around us fast enough.

When we finally made it to our next plane, I knew our seats were all the way in the last row so I shuffled Noella along the best I could and got settled. Well, I was apparently on the wrong side. The man who's side I was sitting in couldn't see that I was with Noella and started to yell at me about it from four seats up. I started to apologize and pack up to move across the aisle when the woman he was traveling with noticed Noella. By the time she decided we could stay I had already packed everything back up in preparation to move. I might have snapped at them a bit... I had had ENOUGH. I just wanted to get there and take a nap already. There might have also been tears and lots of avoiding eye contact. I made sure to apologize because the entire hour and a half flight I felt SO awful. He cut me off and mumbled a rushed "whatever, don't worry about it. I'm NEVER having kids so I don't know or care to know what you're dealing with." Cue more tears. I sat there floored for a moment making sure they had a large enough head start off the plane that I wasn't going to catch up with them again.

We made it to Manchester in once piece and found Gammy, Papa AND Aunt Jennie waiting for us. Noella was thrilled and SO excited for a break from the airplane. We grabbed a quick lunch and then it was off to see Uncle Phil in the hospital!

 After lunch she fell asleep in less than 10 minutes. Thank goodness for small miracles.

Stay tuned for Part 2!

1 comment:

  1. our return flight this week (Manchester to Baltimore to Salt Lake) was pretty awful as well. I thought the way there was bad... and then she screamed and thrashed and basically threw a tantrum that lasted 3/4 hours of the second flight. I was in tears. Impossible to calm her.. it is soooo so hard!

    I was thankful to be surrounded by kind people, though. Sorry you had such jerks nearby!